The historic Gold Hill Depot sits along Virginia and Truckee (V&T) Railroad tracks.
Ron James, Tour Leader, explains the 360 degree panorama of mining history in Gold Hill.
This open pit mine was operated in the late 1900s by Houston Minerals. Mining was halted when the pit threatened to engulf the town of Gold Hill.
Fort Hastings once occupied the top of the far hill with the American flag. The V&T nearly circles the hill on its way back to Virginia City.
(Left) Across the highway from the Depot is the Gold Hill Fireman’s Memorial. It sits on the site of the Liberty Engine Co. No. 1. Its roots go back to 1863. It was finally disbanded in 1938. Since that time heavy snows and general neglect caused its demise. Across the V&T tracks is the site of the Gold Hill Miners’ Union Hall which met a similar fate.
(Above) This historic photograph shows the firehouse and the union hall.
|Crown Point Ravine looking westward. This was the site of the famous Crown Point Trestle with the Yellow Jacket Mine site on the right side (north) and the Crown Point Mine on the left side (south).|
This historic view looking north across the Crown Point Ravine shows the Crown Point Mine at the bottom center directly below the trestle and the Yellow Jacket Mine on the opposite end of the trestle.