2000 Mining History Association Tour

 

Tonopah Walking Tour

June 1, 2000

 

PHOTO GALLERY – 2 of 3

 

CLICK ON A PHOTO TO DISPLAY A LARGER IMAGE
Aerial View of Tonopah.The Mizpah Hotel is the largest building in the downtown. The Tonopah Historic Mining Park is just off the right side of the photo.

The Mizpah Hotel, opened in 1908, brought Victorian luxury to Tonopah.  It is on the National Register of Historic Places.  After more than a decade of closure, the hotel was renovated and reopened in 2011.

 

The historic Tonopah Volunteer Fire Department was built in 1907.  It is on the National Register of Historic Places and has been restored.


Public art celebrates Tonopah’s mining history.
The 1900 discovery of silver ore in Tonopah is commemorated by these statues of Jim and Belle
Butler on Main Street.

The 1811 Belmont Mine fire cost 17 miners their lives.  Big Bill Murphy made three trips down the shaft to rescue his fellow miners.  He died during his third trip.  His sacrifice during the fire is commemorated in this statue.

The Central Nevada Museum was established in 1981 by the Central Nevada Historical Society.  Its indoor and outdoor exhibit areas include artifacts from mining boom through World War II when the Army Air Force operated a training base in Tonopah.

A headframe and mining equipment along with
buildings from several historic mining camps are preserved and on outdoor display at the Central
Nevada Museum.
Crescent moon rises over Main Street in Tonopah with Brock Mountain in the distance. Its clear, dark skies make Tonopah a stargazer’s Mecca.


(Photos courtesy of the Town of Tonopah and the Central Nevada Museum.)

CLICK HERE FOR GALLERY 3

 

 


All contents copyright 2011. This is a ZStudios website.