2000 Mining History Association Tour

 

Tour of the Round Mountain Gold Mine and
Historic Mining Towns and Camps

June 4, 2000

 

PHOTO GALLERY – 3 of 3

 

CLICK ON A PHOTO TO DISPLAY A LARGER IMAGE


The Round Mountain Gold Mine is operated by Kinross Gold Corp.  Gold was initially discovered at Round Mountain in 1906 and mined underground. The open pit mine was opened in 1977 by the Smoky Valley Mining Company, a joint venture. It was the first major US gold mine to rely on heap leaching. Milling was added later.
The mine produced over 12 million ounces of gold by 2009.

The Historic Mining Town of Belmont

Belmont became a booming mining town following the discovery of silver in 1865. During a 20 year period that followed, total mine production was valued at $15 million. In 1867, the Nye County Seat was established in Belmont. The brick courthouse at the right side of the photo above was completed in 1876. Three large mills were active in Belmont during the boom years. (1913 photo)



(Above) The ruins of buildings along Main Street
(Highway 82) in Belmont.


(Right) A chimney at the site of the Combination Mill located on the east side of Belmont.
In 1905, after years of decline in mining in Belmont, the Nye County Court was moved to Tonopah.  After several decades of abandonment, the courthouse was designated a State Historic Site.  Since 2013, the courthouse has been restored by The Friends of Belmont Courthouse.  An excellent Belmont Walking Tour brochure is available on their website.


The Historic Mining Town of Tybo


Aerial View of Tybo, NV today.
The mines in Tybo produced $50 million worth of silver ore between 1874 and 1879 (2016 prices).  The front of the N. S. Trowbridge Store is one of the more impressive ruins in Tybo.  It is estimated that 600-700 people lived in town at its peak in the 1870s.

 

The Tybo school ruin is another relic of the prosperous early days of mine operation in the canyon.  The town experienced a second period of production from 1925-1937.  Unfortunately, little remains of the extensive mine, mill, and townsite buildings operated by the Treadwell-Yukon Mining Company.  Production from that period is valued at $145 million in 2016 dollars.


(Left) The 2 G Mine was named for its 1870 discoverers, James Gally and M. V. B. Gillet.  The ruins and daylighted stopes of past mining dot the hills around Tybo.

(Above)  A hoist is well preserved in the 2G hoist house.


A smelter ruin from the 1870s is located on the north side of the road leading into town.  The flue structure can be seen on the hillside above the smelter ruins.  The mines and plants shut down in 1879.

Charcoal ovens located two miles up the canyon west of Tybo provided fuel to the local smelters.


(Photos courtesy of Kinross Gold Corp., NARA, Nevada Highway Department, and Bill Wahl.)

For more information about Tybo see ''Tybo Nevada, Gem of the Sagebrush Frontier” by Robert McCracken and Jeanne Sharp Howerton.

The “2017 Nevada Historic Mining Calendar,” published by the Northern Nevada Section of the Society for Mining, Exploration, and Metallurgy (SME), is devoted to Tybo. It contains excellent photographs from the Central Nevada Historical Society and other archives.

Copies of the book and calendar may be ordered by email NNEVSME@gmail.com.  Sales support a scholarship program.


CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO THE TONOPAH CONFERENCE

 

 


All contents copyright 2011. This is a ZStudios website.