The Tombstone Epitaph newspaper was founded by John Philip Clum in 1880. It sided with the Earps in the controversy following the Shootout at the OK Corral. Today, the Epitaph continues publication with a National Edition, the historical monthly journal of the Old West.
Historic and more modern newspaper equipment, printing presses, and book binding equipment are on display in the Epitaph Museum.
The Birdcage Theater opened in 1881. In 1882, the New York Times reported that it was “the wildest, wickedest night spot between Basin Street and the Barbary Coast.” It also severed as a gambling hall and brothel.
The original multi-story Grand Hotel occupied this site until it was destroyed by a fire in 1882. It was rebuilt as a saloon, now named for Mary Katherine “Big Nose Kate” Horony-Cummings, common-law wife of Doc Holliday.