2016 Mining History Association

 

Tours of the Historic Telluride Region:

Ames Hydroelectric Power Plant

June 12, 2016

 

PHOTO GALLERY 9 of 10
CLICK ON A PHOTO TO DISPLAY A LARGER IMAGE

 

In 1891, the historic Ames Hydroelectric Power Plant demonstrated that Alternating Current (AC) electricity could be produced and transmitted over long distances.  It powered mill equipment at the Gold King Mine located 2.6 miles away over rugged terrain.

The Ames Station sign contains historical plaques by the American Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.  CLICK HERE for a close-up.  By 1894 most of the mines above Telluride were electrified ahead of many of the country’s major cities.


Our hosts from Xcel Energy, the plant owner and operator, describe the plant history and its current operation.

The MHAers could get an excellent view of all the plant equipment and the more modern control room.

(Above) the water nozzle enters the Pelton Wheel from the penstock.  CLICK HERE for a close-up of the nameplate.

 

(Right)  The AC generator is directly connected to the Pelton Wheel.  CLICK HERE for a close-up of the nameplate.

 



A view of the connecting shaft between the Pelton wheel and the AC generator.


The Xcel Energy, Ames Power Plant Offices, just before the rain and hail started!


Photos courtesy of Susan Canty and Mike Kaas

CLICK HERE FOR PHOTO GALLERY 10 OF 10

 

 


All contents copyright 2011. This is a ZStudios website.