Mining History Association

 

2014 Leadville Mining District Update

PHOTO GALLERY 5

CLICK ON A PHOTO TO DISPLAY A LARGER IMAGE

The Leadville Mining District is so extensive that it is difficult to see it all in a single day. The MHA tour in 2007 covered many of the highlights of its 140 years of mining history (Photo Galleries 1-4). To show more of Leadville’s mining history and its heritage structures these additional photos have been added (Photo Galleries 5-6). The photos were taken over two days just before the 2014 MHA conference in Trinidad, Colorado. The dark ominous sky in some of the photos foreshadowed an intense snow squall that terminated picture taking on day one. Day two dawned with a crystal clear blue sky and a landscape dusted with snow. CLICK HERE to download a map of the mines in the Leadville Mining District. (1926, Loughlin, USGS Bulletin 779)

Fryer Hill, just east of downtown Leadville, was the location of many famous mines including the Little Pittsburgh, Chrysolite, Robert E. Lee (dumps in the foreground), and H. A. W. Tabor’s Matchless (right center).

In 1880, the Matchless Mine was producing $1000 per day for H. A. W. Tabor.  His second wife, “Baby Doe” lived out her days and eventually died in the Matchless cabin (left).  During the summer months, the National Mining Hall of Fame and Museum provides tours at the mine.


The unusual Wright Shaft headframe uses a Cornish “A” design.  A 4-inch wide ribbon hoisting cable passed over the flat-rimmed wheel.

Evans Gulch defines the northern part of the Leadville Mining District.  The Diamond Mine is at the eastern end of the gulch.  It was part of Resurrection and Black Cloud mining complexes and connected to the Yak Tunnel.

The 1000 ft. deep Resurrection No. 2 shaft is now capped (left center).  It also connected to the Yak Tunnel.  Ore was hauled 4 miles underground to the Resurrection Mill in California Gulch.

The New Monarch Mine is located on the road between Evans Gulch and Stumptown. The picturesque ore house is one of the best preserved in the Leadville District.

Stumptown in South Evans Gulch got started with the 1879 discovery of the Little Ellen Mine.  It operated until 1930.  It was the hometown of newlyweds “Leadville Johnny” Brown and his wife Margaret “Molly,” the unsinkable.

 

Looking west from the Ollie Reed Mine in Stumptown toward Turquoise Lake, the ruins of the Little Bob Mine and the St. Louis Tunnel can be seen in the distance.  The dumps of the Fanny Rawlings Mine are on the hillside at the left edge of the photo.


Photo Credits: Mike and Pat Kaas

CLICK HERE FOR GALLERY 6 OF 6


All contents copyright 2011. This is a ZStudios website.