1995 Mining History Association Tour
Empire Mine State Historic Park
Grass Valley, California
June 3, 1995
PHOTO GALLERY 1 OF 2
CLICK ON A PHOTO TO DISPLAY A LARGER IMAGE
The Empire Mine yard is surrounded by original buildings including various shops (above), mine office, engineers’ office, assay office, refinery, headframe site, and hoist house.
Many types of mining equipment are on display in the mine yard. Included are the Pelton Wheel and small set of stamps (above) plus hoists, motors, drills, etc.
The original headframe was mostly demolished. A short section of the inclined track can be seen. The inclined shaft is illuminated to provide visitors with a look underground.
(Left) A ten-stamp mill is on display.
(Above) All that remains of the stamp mill building itself is the foundation. The remains of the 1910 cyanide mill are located beyond the trees at the right.
A park docent demonstrates the operation of the blacksmith’s forge.
The machine shop contains an extensive array of tools used to repair and sometimes manufacture mining and milling equipment.
Photo Credits: Mike Kaas
CLICK HERE FOR PHOTO GALLERY 2 OF 2